Supplied by Kate Freeman, Nutritionist assisting The Heart Research Institute
For burger patties:
- 500g pork mince
- 1 egg
- ½ red onion, finely diced
- 1 tbsp. Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 tbsp. wholegrain mustard
- 2 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 tsp. paprika
- ¼ cup cooked quinoa or breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup whole meal flour
For rainbow slaw:
- 2 cups red cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 celery stalk, finely chopped
- ½ red apple, grated or finely chopped
- ¼ cup aioli
- 1½ cups baby spinach
- 6 wholegrain burger buns
1. Place pork mince, egg, red onion, Worcestershire Sauce, wholegrain mustard, tomato paste, paprika
and quinoa into a large bowl.
2. Using clean hands or a wooden spoon, stir mixture until fully combined.
3. Place flour in a bowl or on a plate.
4. Separate mince mixture into 6 parts, shape into balls and roll through flour.
5. Heat a non-stick pan over medium heat. In batches, press the mince balls into the pan to make patties.
Cook over low heat for 5-6 minutes on each side. The trick is to ensure they’re cooked through, without burning the outside.
6. While the patties are cooking, combine the red cabbage, carrot, celery, apple and aioli in a bowl and stir until all ingredients are lightly coated.
7. Once patties are cooked, serve on buns topped with slaw and baby spinach.