This is a really easy cross between British-style baked beans and huevos rancheros, which is perfect for breakfast, lunch or dinner. It’s a big meal, but because so much of the volume is coming from vegetables, it’s not very high in kJ/calories. It is, however, very high in lots of other nutrients.
One serve of this Beans with Eggs and Halloumi will give you half of your daily fibre requirements, and 2 times your daily needs of vitamin C.
Ingredients (serves 2)
100g (3.5 oz) x halloumi cheese, sliced
1 tsp paprika
2 garlic gloves, crushed
1 red onion, finely chopped
1 red capsicum, finely chopped
1 x 400g (14 oz) tinned tomatoes
1 x 400g (14 oz) four-bean mix, drained and rinsed
1 tsp cumin
chives, finely sliced
1. Heat oven grill to 200⁰C / 392⁰F
2. Sprinkle halloumi slices with paprika and set aside.
3. In a large fry pan sauté the onion and garlic 2-3 minutes, or until softened.
4. Add in capsicum. Cook gently for another 2-3 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, gently fry the halloumi in a separate pan or on a sandwich press. When it is slightly golden, add the cooked haloumi to the onion and pepper mix.
6. Add the bean mix, tinned tomatoes and cumin to the fry pan and stir until warmed through.
7. Make 4 small wells in the mix, and crack the eggs straight into them. Pop the whole pan into the oven, leave the door open. The eggs will cook this way, ensure not to leave the pan in for longer than 7 minutes.
Serve with a sprinkle of fresh chives. Enjoy!